CENTER – Requires Board of Regents Approval
- A smaller, interdisciplinary, collaborative effort, revolving around a specific research or educational activity, whose participants are involved in more than one academic department or unit
- Is administered by a director or agency director or someone holding a lower title
- Is focused largely on externally supported research or educational activities broader than those interests of an individual department or administrative unit
INSTITUTE – Requires Board of Regents Approval
- A large integrative unit, housing intercollegiate or interagency activities
- Is administered by a director reporting to a dean or agency director or someone with a title above dean or agency director
- Is focused largely on externally supported research or educational activities that are much broader than those interests of a given college or administrative unit
PROGRAMS, LABORATORIES, FACULTIES & FACILITIES – Does Not Require Board of Regents Approval
- Are lesser administrative, educational or research entities, usually residing within an academic department or unit
Requirements for New Centers and Institutes
Requests to establish new centers and institutes require the submission of the Agenda Item Briefing Minute Order and the proposal. The agenda item and proposal are submitted to the Board of Regents for approval.
- Briefing Minute Order
Note: Within the A&M System proposal unit for a center or institute, the actual proposal may be quite voluminous, especially if it comprises or is part of a larger state, federal, foundation, or private sector request. The proposal for approval to the Board of Regents need be no longer than 10 pages. The narrative should address the purpose, provide a brief bibliographic data on the principles of the center or institute, include a projected activities calendar, and anything else deemed necessary. Thus a proposal’s executive summary in most cases will be submitted to the Regents in place of a voluminous proposal as the attached item to the agenda item materials.
Sample BMO and Proposal Request TAMU
Sample BMO and Proposal Request TAMUCC-TEES