The A&M System is one of the largest systems of higher education in the nation, with a statewide network of 11 universities and seven state agencies. A&M System members educate more than 148,000 students and reach another 22 million people through service each year. With more than 26,000 faculty and staff, the A&M System has a physical presence in 250 of the state’s 254 counties and a programmatic presence in every one. System-wide, externally funded research expenditures exceeded $946 million to help drive the state’s economy.
|Universities||Established||Joined A&M System|
|Texas A&M University||1876||1876|
|Prairie View A&M University||1876||1973|
|Texas A&M University-Commerce||1889||1996|
|Tarleton State University||1899||1917|
|West Texas A&M University||1910||1990|
|Texas A&M University-Kingsville||1925||1989|
|Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi||1947||1989|
|Texas A&M International University||1970||1989|
|Texas A&M University-Texarkana||1971||1996|
|Texas A&M University-Central Texas||2009||1999|
|Texas A&M University-San Antonio||2009||2000|
Each of the members of the A&M System has its own mission, history and goals. The oldest institution and founding member of the A&M System is Texas A&M University, established in 1876. Many of the member universities and agencies joined the A&M System decades after being established. Together, they strive to provide educational programs, outreach and community enhancement services as well as research that will improve the lives of people in Texas and beyond.
- More than one in five students in a public university in Texas is enrolled in an A&M System institution.
- Texas A&M consistently ranks in the forefront among public universities in Texas in retention rates—keeping students enrolled and on course for graduation both overall and for African-American and Hispanic students.
- A&M System students receive about $580 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- The A&M System awarded 32,560 degrees in FY 2016.
- The A&M System’s faculty includes recipients of the Nobel Prize, National Medal of Science, Pulitzer Prize, World Food Prize and the Wolf Prize, as well as members in the National Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Engineering.
Total Texas A&M University System Enrollment
for Fall Semesters