Any contract under which Legal Services are provided by a private law firm or an attorney or paraprofessional who is not employed by the system, regardless of the amount of Legal Services provided in relation to other services, will be deemed an Outside Counsel Contract (OCC).
All requests to retain outside counsel shall be submitted in writing to the Office of General Counsel (OGC). All Outside Counsel Contracts shall be prepared by the OGC and submitted by the OGC to the Office of Attorney General (OAG) for approval.
State agencies may not initiate the process of selecting outside counsel to be paid with appropriated funds prior to receiving the approval of the Office of Attorney General. No outside counsel may be retained without the prior written approval of the Office of the Attorney General.
Payment for legal services rendered by outside counsel shall be in accordance with the approved Outside Counsel Contract.
OCC INVOICE SUBMISSION & REQUIREMENTS
• OCC Invoice Example Form
Provides many examples of the Office of Attorney General (OAG) invoice requirements. Invoices that do not include all required information and/or supporting documents are considered incomplete, which may result in OAG declining to approve payment of the invoice.
• Attorney Verification Language for Invoice
Outside Counsel must include a signed and currently dated attorney verification, upon the submittal of each invoice.
• Reimbursement Information for Mileage Expenses
This information is required on all invoice submissions requesting reimbursement for mileage expenses.
Invoice requirement reminders…
– Submit invoices along with all required documents electronically to email@example.com
– The Outside Counsel Contract (OCC) identification number must be included on all invoices
– Submit invoices monthly for services provided during the previous month
– Each invoice must contain services/expenses for only one calendar month, per matter/project
– Timekeeper titles must match those listed in your OCC
– Legal billing rates must not exceed those listed in your OCC
– Include receipts, invoices or other proof of payment for all expenses submitted
For a list of all invoice requirements please visit §57.6 Invoices for Legal Services and Expenses of Title 1, Chapter 57 of the Texas Administrative Code.
INFORMATION & IMPORTANT LINKS
• RFQ Process & Information
• Office of the Attorney General Memorandum
Dated: December 9, 2016
For all matters requesting legal advice or any other attorney related matters, please contact outside counsel attorney, Katherine Knight, Assistant General Counsel, (979) 458-7461.
For any/all other outside counsel related matters and/or inquiries, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.