HB 4586 by Pitts / Ogden (Supplemental Appropriations Bill) relating to making supplemental appropriations and reductions in appropriations and giving direction and adjustment authority and prescribing limitations regarding appropriations.
The bill provides funding to a number of state agencies for disaster related expenses, shortfalls in funding, and program/operations funding. The bill also provides for reductions to the 2008-09 appropriations at several state agencies. Funding for higher education institutions totals $423.6 million and includes:
- $227.3 million for disaster related expenses. These funds are primarily for damages and expenses related to Hurricane Ike but also include other natural disasters. This section of the bill also includes $150 million for damages at UTMB Galveston. Funding for Texas A&M System entities includes:
o $6.2 million for Texas A&M University @ Galveston, includes $500,000 for debt service for tuition revenue bonds authorized by HB51.
o $0.5 million for Prairie View A&M University for facility repair due to Hurricane Ike.
o $1.2 million for Texas Engineering Extension Service for Galveston facility and hurricane deployment.
o $31.9 million for the Texas Forest Service, primarily for wildfire-related costs.
- $23.4 million for various programs/operations at higher education institutions. Funding for Texas A&M System entities includes:
o $2 million at Texas A&M International University for outreach, access, enrollment, advising, tutoring and retention support.
o $250,000 Texas A&M University System/Texas AgriLife Research contingency funding for SB 2534 by Wentworth to operate the Task Force on Economic Growth and Endangered Species.
o $2.5 million for the Texas Forest Service out of the General Revenue Dedicated Account - 5064 for grants to volunteer fire departments for training and equipment through the Volunteer Fire Department Assistance Program.
Funding at other higher education institutions in this section includes $9.9 million for UT Austin for hold harmless for the 08-09 biennium (with $700,000 specified for Marine Science Institute to support the National Estuarine Research Reserve); $1.3 million for UT Tyler for its Palestine campus; $2.5 million for Texas Southern for administrative expenses and archival papers; $617,224 for Texas State University for the School Safety Center; $2.8 million for the UNT System for reimbursement for costs associated with construction of its second building on the
new UNT Dallas campus; and $1.5 million for Navarro College for its new campus.
- $10 million for trauma care at certain health related institutions.
- $10 million in contingency funding to Texas State Technical College System for facilities.
- $152 million to community colleges for higher education group insurance premiums vetoed by the Governor in FY2009.
- The bill also includes legislative intent language that the Governor's Division of Emergency Management reimburse the Texas Engineering Extension Service for costs incurred in connection with the response of the Texas Task Force 1 to flooding events ($1-$2 million estimated).
HB 2729 by Pitts/Ogden relating to directing payment, after approval, of certain miscellaneous claims and judgments against the state out of funds designated by this Act; making appropriations. Includes the following:
- To pay the A&M System Texas Transportation Institute (TTI) $14,221.82 from Fund 006 to provide technical support to enhance effective utilization of high occupancy vehicle lanes April 24, 2002 - August 31, 2005.
- To pay TTI $5,550 from Fund 006 to provide technical support to enhance effective utilization of high occupancy vehicle lanes April 24, 2002 - August 31, 2005.