Drug Free Schools and Communities Act »

As a condition of receiving federal funds or grants, institutions of higher education must certify that they have adopted and implemented an alcohol and drug-free awareness and prevention program in accordance with the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989. 



 Annually, employees and students must be notified, in writing, of the following:

  • The standards of conduct that prohibit the unlawful manufacture, possession, dispensation, use and distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by students and employees on System property or as part of any system activity; 
  • A description of the applicable legal sanctions under local, state or federal law for the unlawful manufacture, possession, dispensation, use or distribution of illicit drugs or alcohol; 
  • A description of the health-risks associated with the use of illicit drugs and alcohol; 
  • A description of drug or alcohol counseling, treatment, rehabilitation or re-entry programs or employee assistance programs that are available to students and/or employees; 
  • A clear statement that the system member, consistent with local, state or federal law, will impose sanctions against a student or employee who violates the standards of conduct.  The statement must include a description of the possible sanctions; and 
  • A description of the member’s program, if applicable, including alternative support, education and re-entry programs for students who are expelled as a result of violating the required minimum standards.


Federal law also requires each system member to conduct a biennial review of its program and report the effectiveness and consistency of the program.  Each member must also determine the number of drug and alcohol-related violations and fatalities that occur on system property or at system activities and reported to campus officials, and determine the number and type of sanctions that are imposed by the member for such reported violations and fatalities.  The report must be provided to the U.S. Secretary of Education or its designee upon request.